Tuesday, June 19, 2012

China vs West


Cultural Difference #1: Women share their weight in public –

In all my time of living in the States, I can't recall one instance where a girl has told me her weight. This secret is guarded almost as closely Coke's recipe. It was very surprising after coming to China, to hear women tell guys their weight in public. It wasn't at the doctor's office or for signing up for insurance. It is common to mention their weight in light conversation. Also, guys are free to ask girls their weight and girls will answer without a second thought. Perhaps the underlying reason is that Chines girls tend to be very slender so are happy to let others know just how slender they are. Many of the Chinese girls I know are on a diet, but it is a diet trying to gain weight. One Christian girl asked us to pray that she would gain weight. I have tried to take advantage of this custom to get some American ladies who are in China to tell me their weight, and it might be a bit of an understatement to say that those efforts have fallen flat.

No comments:

Post a Comment