Tuesday, June 19, 2012

China vs West part 3


Cultural Difference #3: Anyone can ask anyone else how much money he makes –

During my time in China I have sometimes been a visitor of English Corners. These are set places at set times where Chinese (mostly students) gather to practice their English. A lot of topics come up during these conversations, but one of the most common is my salary and it is not me bringing up. A typical conversation might go like thisMan with Money:
Chinese: “What do you do?”
Me: “I am a teacher and teach kids.”
Chinese: “How much do you make?”
Me: “Umm, well, uhh, cough. While we are on the topic of making money, what do you think of Yao Ming?”
Asking how much I make is not a topic restricted to English Corners. Pretty much every foreigner spending any amount of time in China will face this question again and again. People don't only ask foreigners, but they are free to ask anyone, Chinese and foreign alike. And most chinese are normally willing to answer. This directness goes beyond asking salary to include the price of anything. It is common to ask the purchase price or rent amount of the home you live in “Not a bad deal.” “Wow, you paid a lot. You are rich!” I must say that of all the cultural differences between China and America this is one of the few that I haven't been able to adjust too well. Try as I will, I am just not too comfortable telling the price of the home I live in to an almost stranger. This is not to say that this habit is wrong. Like many in China it is just different.

No comments:

Post a Comment